…siege and not be prepared for the occasion.
Deedee says, “It ain’t no fun hangin’ around the house if you ain’t got stuff to play with.” Other than her toys, Deedee likes to keep a stock of edibles lying around. So here’s what she thinks you should keep in that pantry:
- Definitely stock up on wine and any other booze you like to consume… believe me you’ll need it at some point… mind you, I’m not encouraging binge drinking, but its good to have the stuff lying around to make that siege go down easier;
- While you’re at it, make sure you have chasers, yaani tonic, soda water, juices… whatever you like in your drink;
- Coffee & tea… for that morning hangover… ya know? mhmm;
- Foodwise: Rice, lentils, dry hummos (chick peas), and pasta are no brainers;
- Canned peeled tomatoes, tuna cans, hummos and foul cans… any other canned goods your heart fancies;
- Garlic, onions, potatoes;
- Buy your favorite bread – khibiz or a loaf from Bread Republic – make sure they slice it, then store it in the freezer;
- Vacuum packed halloum and akkawi, they last and are fun to play with when you’re getting creative;
- Hard cheeses usually last a while too, get some butter and put in the freezer while you’re at it;
- Walnuts, almonds, raisins… yaani, dried fruit in general is nice at this time of year… pine nuts?
- Then make sure to buy fresh herbs like rosemary, zaatar, sage, bay leaves, etc… and keep them around till they dry… they’re great to spice food with when you dont have the fresh thang;
- Oh! Chocolate! How can I forget the oral pleasures!?!?
There you are, your own special list of life saving essentials. Do feel free to add to the list… Just cuz we’re under siege, doesn’t mean we can’t eat well.
Merci Turbanitis and Go-Tee (aka PMS) for giving us yet another opportunity to get creative. Never a dull moment!